Fire is a sudden and unforeseen event which is the core cover of most insurance policies.
IF Brokers wanted to take a moment to pay a special tribute to the Notre-Dame Cathedral that suffered a substantial fire a few days ago.
Some of the facts…
- Work on building the cathedral started in the 2nd century and took 100 years to complete
- The cathedral is considered to be one of finest examples of French Gothic architecture
- It has survived a French Revolution and 2 World Wars
- Victor Hugo published the French Gothic novel Hunchback of Notre-Dame in 1831
- About 12 million people visit the cathedral every year making it the most visited monument in Paris.
- In comparison, The Eiffel Tower is the most visited paid monument in the world and had 6,9 million visitors in 2015
- The two towers are 69 meters high and were the tallest structures in Paris until the finalisation of the Eiffel Tower in 1889
- The 3 stained glass windows known as the rose windows are some of the most recognisable features of the church, and luckily the recent fire did not destroy these windows
- The church is owned and self-insured by the state but run exclusively by the church
- Church officials were able to remove many of the artifacts, paintings and other cultural treasures before being evacuated by the fire fighters
The Loss and the Fund Raising Efforts
- The cause of the fire is speculated to have been caused by ongoing renovation work
- If the fire started as a result of the negligence of the contractors, then they could be held liable
- France’s 3 wealthiest families are leading the charge in raising funds to cover the costs to rebuild. Funds collected are already estimated at US$700 million
We are sure that this fine piece of history will be restored to its former glory.
Experiencing a fire is never an easy thing to endure but it is crucial to approach the management of these sudden and unforeseen events with a clear, calm and collected mind. As, in the case of the fire at the Notre-Dame Cathedral – exceptional risk management was applied by the Church and state fire fighters when the fire broke out, they managed to mitigate the loss of precious priceless artifacts.
IF Administrators (Pty) Ltd is an authorised financial services provider – FSP 45715